Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fall Fun


I've been trying to consume myself with fun things this Fall.  Mostly because things just don't feel as fun without my mom.  After watching the fun things she did with the other grandkids the last five years, it has been really bittersweet doing all the same things this year for the first time with Almira.  My sisters and I all try really hard just to keep going and do the things she would do.  It's a really hard thing to do.  But God continues to give us strength to ease the pain just a little.  The above picture is after we got done carving pumpkins with Gerb (Andrea) and Justin and Ashlie.  It was a lot of fun and Gerb's house on Front Street is so cute!

Despite these feelings, I have managed to have some fun this fall.  I was determined to make Almira a halloween costume.  About a month ago I decided she would be an Owl.  She has such big brown curious eyes and I thought she would make the cutest owl!  I'm not crafty at all...but Gerb (adam's sister) and I went to Michaels and got feathers and felt and glue.  As long as I could remember my mom NEVER bought us a halloween costume.  It was either handmade, hand-me-down or borrowed.  I don't think Adam was convinced that I could do it.  But last Thursday night after Almira had gone to bed, I sat down with a glass of wine and got busy.  I am so proud of what I accomplished.  Adam was too!




So we dressed up and headed out to trick or treat at a few houses.  We only made it to Julie, Joelle's and Gramma Tuesday's, but we had fun.  Adam dressed up as a caveman/jesus/butt rocker? (who knows!) We threw it together last minute.  I was a witch and Adam's sister Ashlie was an Indian (which really isn't a stretch) Ashlie being an Indian, not me being a witch! :)  Anyway we stopped at Rob and Joelle's to visit their Halloween party.  Much to our surprise Rob and Jason were dressed up too!  It's fun to get dressed up with the kids.  We may have to make it a tradition. 
On Halloween day after having a nice breakfast at home with my dad,  Adam and I got some yardwork done and then headed down to the river for a weenie roast with my dad.  Being at the river together is just something we all enjoy.  It's really therapeutic in a way.  It was a perfect way to end the weekend. 

Well I've really been enjoying my Thursdays at home with Almira.  I'm really going to miss them come January when I have to go back to full time :(  Today I took Ruger to the vet.  It was a challenge!  Holding a baby on one hip and the leash with a hyperactive dog at the end.  Yikes!  Here's a picture of him though, he is so cute!
Well I'm off to clean my dad's house.  We'll see how that goes.  It's a weird feeling.  I'll try to post again soon.  I'm working on getting all my jumbled thoughts into a blog post.  It's hard to do.  I want to get all my feelings down, but when I go to do it I just don't know how to explain them.  Hopefully it gets easier with time.  For now this is what you get.  Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for starting a blog! It feels good to get your feelings/thoughts out. Wonderful pictures...beautiful family! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the owl costume Beth! You crafty woman you! :) Kade was an owl too... haha NOT homemade! Thats definitely inspiring though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Beth :)!

    ReplyDelete