Sunday, November 28, 2010

Black "rainbow" Friday

I haven't posted for a while.  I just haven't had anything worthy of writing, or so I feel.  It's been a long week of just feeling blah.  Not really knowing what to feel or how I feel.  I haven't even been able to explain it, which is rare for me!

Thanksgiving was bittersweet.  We spent the morning at home as a little family and then went to Adam's parents for a low key dinner.  It was really nice, but I was just really missing my family.  I am so thankful for Adam's family though.  His sisters and mom are so good to me and take such good care of me.  Not to mention they are a ton of fun!

Lisa and I decided we would go shopping the day after.  We got a somewhat early start at 6:45.  It was so good to spend time with her.  We were tired, but we were excited to shop.  On the way in to Bellingham we couldn't help but think of last year's Thanksgiving.  We had a huge dinner at my parent's house and we had so much to be thankful for.  Mom was feeling ok that day and we sat down to dinner and my dad prayed.  We had so much hope and so much thanks.  I will never forget that dinner as long as I live.

So after some tears and laughing and just wondering why, we went to Target.  This was our mom's favorite store.  We always went to Target with her.  The whole morning Lisa and I kept saying, "this is what mom would do" or  "mom would just say get it!"  It was nice to remember her this way, but so sad to not have her there with us.  But, after we got our shopping done at Target and got through the crazy crowd, we decided to bring our stuff out to the car and continue shopping.  We walked outside and saw a rainbow.  I think anyone who has ever lost someone knows that a rainbow has so much meaning.  We looked at each other and both thought, there's mom.  It was a feeling of peace that was very welcomed after missing her so much.

This holiday season is going to be really hard for my family.  But God continues to give peace and strength and I will rely on him to get me through.  I am thankful that I can go through this holiday season with a different perspective than I have ever had. 
Last year's Thanksgiving table.  For some reason at the time, I really wanted to remember this.
She always had a special activity for the grandkids.  She helped them make gingerbread houses.

6 comments:

  1. I find so much comfort in reading your blog. I too saw that rainbow on friday morning amidst the craziness of shopping and like every other rainbow I see, I thought of my mom too. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have these pictures! The memories from last Thanksgiving are stored so tight in my mind and heart. I'd like to get some of those from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelli. It helps to hear from others who are going through the same thing.
    Joelle, we should get our pictures together and start sharing them. I'll see if I can get them on a CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beth! I just came across your blog, your posts are really heartfelt and beautifully written. I think about and pray often for all of you girls. I look forward to following your blog, and pray that God makes this very hard holiday season still very special for your family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bethlehem! I love you so much and your mom was always SO much fun! Funny how you say she always had an arts and craft project because whenever I came over there was always something prepared for dinner/lunch/breakfast and then ALWAYS something sweet after! A true Martha for sure! The other night was so nice to get together and get into the deep conversations and play some card games! I can't wait for our girls holiday party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blog Beth ♥

    ReplyDelete